Skip to main content

Very Like Summer

Dandelion. Dent-de-lion. Lion's tooth. What a heavy name for an ethereal weed. If only one could swing on its many parachutes and float away into some magic world, as Disney characters very often do. If only they didn't make the back of the throat itch.

There were thousands of white gossamer dandelion seeds in the air this surprisingly summer-like weekend, floating silently and gracefully like first snow flakes of winter.

"They cause allergies," S frowned and warned her son and me to steer clear.

"Here, blow it," six years old T brought me a seed-head in the park this morning, while his mother was away. He watched me blow it with delight. Then he took the stalk from me, ran with it like it was a live cracker, and threw it away in the air some distance away.

Sun dappled shade in the park, inquisitive chipmunks and sparrows for company, a friendship sealed with a gift of dandelion...heaven!

S lives in Oak Park, a western suburb of Chicago, established in 1902. Unlike the seriously New England-ish Evanston I visited last weekend, Oak Park, to quote S, is "eclectic". It has a mish-mash of building styles--red brick buildings jostling with gray stone buildings, lovely cottage-like houses interspersed occasionally with simply utilitarian apartment complexes, and maple-lined residential avenues giving way to paved pathways of a cheerful downtown.

Well, it has to be, since it has the largest number of homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (including his own) in the world. He apparently spent 20 years of his career in Oak Park. It also is the birthplace of Ernst Hemingway.

When I set out for Oak Park last evening, it wasn't very promising. Remainder clouds from Thursday's thunderstorm were still hanging low in the skies. It was cold at the Lake Cook Road Metra station. Nothing of Chicago RTA's glam here--just a functional station like the NJ Transit stations. Depressing. The little station building smelt strongly of smelly cheese. The ticket counter was closed.

The train was half-an hour late. Metra is a double-deck train supervised by conductors who look plucked out of the 1920s. Especially the one who stood outside our compartment, with his little mustache, round blue metal-tipped conductor hat and blue button-down coat. The thing is, he didn't do anything conductorly. I traveled ticket-less to my destination.

The train sped through some industrial suburbs and some quaint neighborhoods, the cutest being the Village of Golf, Est. 1928. But none of them were as barren and intimidating as the station I got down. Gray Land station had uneven platforms, barbed wire fences, and heavily graffiti-ed shelters. A factory with serious silos loomed on my side of the tracks. A straggly, characterless brick building stood mutely on the other.

Two Hispanic youths in low slung jeans and a quantity of chains were sitting in the shelter across the tracks. They gave me the eye and resumed their conversation. On my side, at a distance, a young Hispanic couple were either having a loving conversation or a fight. An old lady in a shocking pink coat stood, undecided, at the top of the stairs leading down to the measly parking lot on the street level on my side. Then she walked past me with a cheerful hello, crossed the tracks, had a brief conversation with the eye-giving youth and walked back. Sporadic shouts of some bacchanalian group could be heard from the street level on the other side of the tracks.

Time stood still.

Fortunately, S reached before it all could play out into a scene from one of those stark, violent movies from South America I watched at the MAMI festival.

After some Wii and a glass of sweet wine, we went to a Thai restaurant in the evening. The ambiance was cozy, the waitresses (or rather one of them) were pretty, the clientele was mostly families, and the food was delicious. Except that my sea food soup was spicy. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but my always-on-the-go nose and eyes started flowing and made a spectacle of me, making the pretty waitress furrow her pretty eyebrows in distress. "Oh is it too spicy for you?" she asked with genuine concern. Which could be only a good thing, right?

Anyway, all four of us enjoyed the meal thoroughly. We got back, had more wine, and talked into the night. This morning, which dawned bright and cheerful, S made us all yummy upma (garnished with nylon sev - never tried that combination before) and chocolate-chip pancakes. Fortified with all this goodness, T and I spent some quality time together. We read books, played with his cars, and did some sums.

In the afternoon, S and I sauntered towards Oak Park downtown. Alas, she had done similar shopping with me at Boston, so she knew exactly the kind of things I will find irresistible. I almost bought an 100$ linen top. I did buy probably overpriced costume jewelry probably made in India from a shop that boasted of being an NGO helping poor artisans in poor countries.

Then she took me to the "fiercely independent" Book Table. It reminded me of the City Light bookstore and Anarchist Book Archive in San Francisco. In Barnes & Noble, Borders, and Crossword, you might find one interesting book among fifty worthless trash. In the indie bookstores, away from the "corporotization" of reading, chances are that every other book you see is interesting. Filled with deliciously subversive literature, right from old-trusted Noam Chomsky to the unedited first version of Little Women (which was a vampire story allegedly), to a coffee table book on India opening with the line "Love it or loath it", the place was an absolute delight. I bought "Idiot America: How stupidity became a virtue in the land of the free". (Review in a later post.)

T and his dad came to pick us up. We hopped and skipped to a picnic at the Scoville Park, right outside the Oak Park public library. We had pizza, pop corn, chips, and sprite. T did some somersaults for my benefit. Intrepid (and probably trained) chipmunks scurried close to us and stood begging on their hind legs, their noses trembling. T ran into a couple of his friends and went away to play with his dad. S and I played throw ball in a most lethargic manner. A large group of all-white protesters went by in a procession, holding signs that read "US Stop Funding the War in Israel", "Stop Isreali Occupation of Gaza", and "Justice Starts With Peace".

We visited the public library. Seeing its fantastic collection of books and DVDs, I wondered why I never visited a public library before. I have resolved to visit the Deerfield one ASAP. Our idyllic day ended with ice cream for all. Unfortunately, the guy at the counter misheard me and gave me some kind of vanilla-malt-cookie smoothie which was barf inducing. Oh well, small matter on such a glorious weekend.

P.S.: I think the Gods of Gastronomy heard my rant about food, because this week has been delightful, food wise. I also checked out a near by Greek restaurant going by the name Demetri with an ex-colleague. Suffice to say that the food was lip smacking. Except that the chef's platter had too much octopus. The chocolate martini was out of the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more