Skip to main content

Travails of the Much Traveled - VI

Is good food too much to ask for? Is it unreasonable for a hard working girl to expect some consistency in the quality of food she gets everyday? Is it a crime that I can't handle bacon, salami and pastrami on a daily basis? (It may be because I was raised as a vegetarian, but too much meat induces violent and scary nightmares with possible sexual subtext involving ghosts, mobsters, zombies, and ravening beasts.)

I have been having a week in hell. It all started on last Sunday at The Claims Company. It is quite a nice restaurant with a fun looking bar at the local mall. It boasted southwestern fare, so I decided to check it out. As a lot of you might know, southwestern is an indigenous, heart-unfriendly cuisine involving indecent amounts of cheese, cream, animal fat, white/red meat, and spices and flavors borrowed from Cajun and Mexican communities. I went in expecting chowder, gumbo, barbecued meat, deep fried everything, and grilled something.

Apparently the "mother lode" steak burger is their signature dish. Their menu consisted predominantly of steak in multiple forms of sandwiches. There were some token chicken dishes. One soup, that too French Onion--their innovation being covering the bowl of soup with a layer of cheese and baking it. Bah! The grilled salmon came with one medium sized fillet and a teaspoon of rice. That's it! The meal cost me $30.

The food situation went into a downward spiral during the week with the caterers at office turning up one uninspired offering after another. This is how it panned out:

Monday
Soup bar: Yawn!!! Low sodium Mediterranean vegetable soup is the best you could rustle up? Could you please go easy on the carrots? Thank you very much.
Stir fry bar: Come on!! zucchini and broccoli? The best you could do?

Tuesday
Worked from the hotel. Self cooking could never be good.

Wednesday
Soup bar: Seriously?? Split pea soup that looks like that little girl's vomit in Exorcist?
Stir Fry bar: Dude, zucchini and broccoli again? Oh you've tossed in tomatoes to mix things up?

Thursday
Soup bar: Yuck! Bean soup? Who eats bean soup? Haven't you heard of all the scatological jokes about beans?
Sandwich bar: Where the fuck is the chicken fucking quesedilla? You served it on last three Thursdays! Is it too much to expect some consistency around here?
Stir fry bar: Heavens! Are these boiled carrots? Really? And who puts celery in rice? Who puts celery in anything?

Friday
Soup bar: Son of a married couple! (I picked that one from 30 Rock.) Soup got over?
Stir fry bar: Oh, Yan Can Cook medley today? Do you know that Yan Can't Cook palatable food? Who makes sweet shrimp? Who makes tangy noodles with peanut sauce? (Wait, I had a baby barf on that one.)

By the end of the week, I was exhausted and defeated. I had also run out of groceries in the room. Saturday saw me up at 4:30 a.m., hungry. PJ saw me on video chat and was alarmed. "How could you do this to yourself?" she asked. "They.are.too.strong!" I said, getting together the last dregs of my energy. "I am done for!"

SD and his wife came and picked me up later that day. T, bless her, had made mutton biriyani. My vision cleared and my light headedness subsided after partaking of it. Thus fortified, we went to watch Ironman 2.

Ironman 2 is definitely bigger in scope. Locations, characters, CGI, sound, and problems are all more exotic and serious. Our hero is dying. He is having trouble communicating with his lady love and his best buddy. US government is after him. The much tattooed Micky Rourke is after him. There is a mysterious and mysteriously brunette Scarlett Johansson tottering around in figure hugging clothes and high heels. There is the issue of the one-eyed Samuel Jackson. Enough to keep adrenaline pumping.

However, the first half sags a little. There is a point, somewhere 45 minutes into the movie, where you can grab 40 winks and not miss anything. But it picks up admirably in the second half. All the new characters settle in. Sam Rockwell becomes great fun to watch. It moves strongly to the finale, setting up the sequel. Robert Downey Jr is zanier, funnier, and charminger than ever. His banter with Gwyneth Paltrow has a new edge. In short, full paisa vasool.

After the movie, we went to the lake. SD lives in this very pretty lakeside neighborhood called Evanston. It is a New England-ish place, with quaint ivy covered brick buildings leaning on to each other, beautiful old houses, white colonial buildings like the Ladies Club of Evanston, and a sweetly seamless modern downtown. I guess the presence of Northwestern University in the neighborhood is the reason for this look.

SD lives in this especially lovely apartment overlooking the lake. The Michigan lake is the most beautiful water body I have seen, taking on a myriad of shades between dark green to cerulean blue depending on the time of the year and time of the day. On Saturday, it was blue-green mostly, reflecting the cloud laden skies. It turned blue when the sun broke away from the clouds, going to mossy green in the shaded parts. (Pictures on Facebook.)

There wasn't much crowd except for an Alpha Chi fraternity (since 1880) mixer from the University. All the movies we've seen and all the books we've read on the subject made it easy for us to guess who was going to get lucky and who wasn't that day. Definitely that hot blond
playing Frisbee. No, not that nerdy Indian girl, looking lost.

It started raining on our way back to the car. We tried standing in the meager shade of pine trees, but we got quite wet anyway. On an already cold day, it froze us. So we went in search of hot beverages and got to an Ethiopian restaurant, which evidently was my hosts' favorite haunt.

It is the kind of restaurant I like -- cozy, full of texture, and with exotic looking (probably Ethiopian) women around. An Ethiopian pop music channel was blaring on the TV. I don't know why, I looked at the women and thought of female genital mutilation and subjected my hosts to blood curdling accounts. I think I was hungry again.

We had sambusas (samosas) and Ethiopian coffee. The TV continued with its music and a strange type of dancing. We figured out that it must be some sort of Ethiopian folk dance, but it looked like somebody having fits induced by Strychnine poisoning (if you don't get the reference, go read your Agatha Christie again). The music sounded a mix of Bedouin and Indian.

I begged T to pack me the leftover biriyani for dinner. She gracefully packed some for me and they dropped me back.

I have done not one, but two grocery runs today, but I am hungry and weak as ever. By the hammer of Thor, will this ever stop? (Did you get the 30 Rock reference? Didja? Didja?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more