Skip to main content

A Dozen Confessions of a Facebook-aholic

  1. It’s been observed that the only time I’m quiet in a group situation is when I’m posting pics and writing about them on Facebook.
  2. I get very antsy and existential (“nobody loves me!”) if I don’t get at least six “likes” in the first 15 minutes of posting something. Recently, I cribbed so much that everybody in the group “liked” my post just to shut me up.
  3.  It’s also been observed that my selfie arm has become some kind of a bionic extension of me and I take incredible selfies and groupies. It is true that the same bionic arm posts pics on FB almost real time.
  4.  When I was of a suitable age (probably 10 or 11), my dad said: “Read the newspaper. It improves you!” Never did. Still don’t. Cannot. Read. Newspaper. The FB news feed is my newspaper. I find it pretty absorbing, entertaining and educational.
  5. I don’t understand when people say they have quit FB because it was getting to be “too much.” WhatsApp and its Babel-eque group chatter is too much. Twitter with its opinion-a-minute-athon and trending stats is too much. How could FB with its weak social networking and weak opinions be too much?
  6.  A couple of years back, I ran into a friend at an airport. The first 5 – 7 minutes of the conversation was supremely disorienting for me. Then I realized that she hasn’t commented/asked about my activities as reported by me on FB. I asked her and she told me that she’s not on it. I’m so used to all conversations starting in the context of my posts that I think I’ve lost the ability to talk to people who are not on FB and following me.
  7.  It pleases me that I have a diverse network, comprising people that range from family members to school teachers to ex-bosses to friends from around the world to friends of my nephews/kids of friends (I think those kids are just being polite) to acquaintances from various walks of life.  They make a very colorful multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-interest world for me to step into every time I access FB.
  8. I have some remarkable nature photographers on my network. I admire their dedication, skill and passion. I’m happy that an army of them are out there, scaling every peak, scouring every forest, diving every water body to catalog our richly bio-diverse but rapidly depleting world. Don’t know whether there is any hope for the species that are going extinct every day, but at least there will be some memory of them left somewhere.
  9. I agree that FB has rewritten “Catching up with the Joneses” to “Catching up with the Joneses’ happiness.” I often wonder whether FB has made us all bi-polar: manically happy posts interspersed with very low and blue silences.
  10. I find it amusing that people equate my high Facebook activity to having a thoroughly public forum life. Like everybody else, I have clearly delineated private and public life/persona too. Yes, I’m an iceberg. My private thoughts are restricted to a small set of people very close to me, who unfortunately have no escape from being privy to the minutiae of my life.
  11. I fancy myself as some sort of a decoder, scanning my world through photographs and posts to detect little blips that indicate larger upheavals/events lurking below the surface. A Sherlock Holmes of the Social Network, if you will. I, my friends, often know what you did last summer. Or fall. Or winter, for that matter. And who you did/didn’t do it with. And what does that mean.
  12. I find FB Messenger a completely useless app.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more