Skip to main content

The Singular Case of the Odd Cavy

She didn’t have a phone. In order to find each other easily, we decided to meet at the northwestern corner of the Bean at Millennium Park.

I told her: “I will have a white carnation pinned to my lapel and be carrying a back issue of the Wall Street Journal. Ask me this question: ‘What is a unicorn?’ My answer will be: ‘A unicorn is just a horse with a long—ay vey!’ Make sure that they don’t follow you.”

She replied: “Roger that Betty Boop. Look for a juvenile delinquent in a green shirt. Ask, 'Aasman mein kitne taare hain?' If you hear, 'Hum sab tumhare hain,' start jogging in the north westerly direction. Stop near the Inn of the Frantic Frog. I'll see you there.”

It was a nasty day to meet someone at a house of ill repute like the Frantic Frog Inn. Storm clouds hung ominously overhead, darkening the sky so much that at 10:30 a.m., it looked like it was 7:00 p.m.

There was a mixed crowd on the train. While getting down at Union Station, I made eye contact with a muscular man in a sleeveless red T-shirt, torn jeans, dread locks, and a skate board. I met him again at the Adams street entrance, trying to buy weed from a similarly dressed group.

I set out on the rain lashed street, holding on to my fragile umbrella which the wind was doing its best to rip off my hand, toting my bags and sipping on a Jamba Juice smoothie. There were but a few abroad. I walked a couple of blocks but the rain and wind made it a difficult task. I ducked under the entrance of a city parking lot. The man from the bus shelter across the street eyed me curiously. I ignored him and jumped on a ledge on the wall and sat there.

The man with dread locks and probably with freshly acquired weed walked past with another man. Our eyes met again. I watched his figure recede from my view. What wicked things were afoot this miserable morn?

I waited on my perch for some time, while the rain’s intensity went in a sinusoidal pattern. In one of the troughs, I dashed out again only to duck back again through a revolving doors of a bookshop called Books-a-Million. There of course were not a million books. But whatever they had seemed to be on sale.

I picked up a novel tracing the history of New York. As I grow older, my book picking criteria have become increasingly peculiar. While the back cover draws me to the content, the first paragraph is the acid test. If it doesn’t interest me, then my interest never revives. I am shallow—I put form ahead of content. This book started with a short sentence of five words. The first page continued with a first person account of a Dutchman canoeing up the Hudson with his half-Indian daughter born in sin on a blustery day not unlike the one outside, but some 300 years ago. My interest was piqued.

I walked on to Michigan Avenue to see that the tops of buildings such as Aon building and Prudential Plaza lost in the low hanging clouds, even though it had stopped raining. It was a remarkable sight. I sprinted across the street to enter Millennium Park. The famous fountain was not as crowded as it usually is on summer days, but a few hardy souls were still braving it out.

I strolled over to the Bean. The Artful Dodger in green was there. We spoke the code words and ran like hell in the northwesterly direction. We then caught a taxi to go to Lincoln Park zoo.

This 35-acre free zoo was founded in 1868 making it the oldest in the nation. It allegedly started when the park commissioners were gifted a pair of swans! Tripadvisor rates it 14 in a list of 527 places to visit in Chicago.

It is indubitably pretty and has an old world feel, despite all the refurbishment it allegedly had recently. The principal exhibits and the first to greet you are the lions and tiger. The lioness was very restless last, pacing up and down and vocalizing from time to time. The lion slept majestically on a rock of course. Are you sure the lion is just effortlessly good looking and doesn’t go out of its way to look picturesque even while sleeping?

After some 10 minutes of pacing, the lioness saw me. Our eyes met. She became very still, with not a muscle moving. She stared at me with an unfathomable expression and held on unblinkingly for a long 5 – 7 minutes. Did she see in me a fatted cow that she could feast on? Did I resemble one of the zoo keepers? Did we have a connection from a previous birth? It was bizarre.

T was in splits of course—she kept pointing to me, denying her involvement, and giving the lioness encouragement with thumbs up sign. With friends like this…!

The tiger was equally restless. He looked a little thin for a Bengal tiger (I’m an expert after rubbing shoulders with them in the wild at Kanha, you see.) Perhaps he was just working his bowels, because he peed with a very sheepish expression after a while, which we unashamedly captured on camera.

This kind of started a pattern that morning. All the primates we saw after that took a dump ceremoniously in front of us. Like the silver backed Gorillas.

By the way, the Gorilla enclosure is the best feature of the zoo. Lincoln zoo has been able to breed them successfully in captivity. Now there is a nice family of Gorillas there—Jojo, the patriarch, his mate, their son Azizi and two daughters. Jojo takes his responsibility very seriously and constantly watched his kids and petted them. The girls were playful. One girl teased another by extending a long twig to her. When the other tried to grab it, she took it away and they chased each other. It was totally cute to watch.

Did you know that monkeys and apes are divided into old world and new world? Old world monkeys live in Asia and Africa, belong to one family of Cercopithecidae and are closer to humans and apes. New World monkeys live in Mexico and South America and belong to the super family of platyrhines (flat nosed). There are several differences between the two in size, diet, physical attributes and mating habits.

Here’s the most fascinating trivia: apparently, the monkey family split into two 40 million years ago, and the new world monkeys might have migrated to South America on rafts of vegetation (like a storm broken piece of mangrove forest) across the Atlantic ocean! Scientists made these discoveries during the mapping of the human genome. How cool is that!

Whatever it is, I saw the curiosest types of new world monkeys, which I haven’t even heard of before. Like the Marmoset that are the smallest monkeys in the world. They were tiny, with a wizened face like that of an old man. Like most of the other new world monkeys, they form monogamous pair bonds. I saw another species, where the two lovebirds sat in deep embrace with their tails wound together. It was the sweetest of sights.

The reptile house was disappointing—the Thirvananthapuram zoo used to have a much better collection of snakes. We saw a couple of tortoises mating, which reminded me of the evergreen Ogden Nash poem:
The turtle lives 'twixt plated decks
Which practically conceal its sex.
I think it clever of the turtle
In such a fix to be so fertile.

And the Alpacas we saw put Captain Haddock strongly in mind. Remember Prisoners of the Sun, where the Captain goes “Kilikilikili” on a Lama which spits on his face? Then we saw a Tibetan Takir (I hope I got the name right) who stood in such a dramatic pose that it put a Telugu film hero in mind.

T and I had a lively discussion on how to ride a double humped Bactrian camel and wondered how uncomfortable it must be if the camel decided to move the muscles in its humps. The poor creatures were huddled in the shelter—the early Fall-ish day must have been a tad cold for them. We tried to get them come out in the name of Genghis Khan, but to no avail.

The oddest creature we saw was without contest the Cavy. Apparently, they are rodents and include the guinea pig in their ranks. The one we saw was a creature that looked like the size of a Chital deer, with a rabbit face and thin, spindly legs.

We ended the day with a ramble along the brand new nature boardwalk. We didn’t see much of life on such a gloomy day except for a duck trio which chattered and followed T everywhere she went. What is it with the zoo and strange animal encounters?

The book I spoke about a few paragraphs before? Well, I left it behind in the park, along with my brand new umbrella and sunglasses. Now I will never know what happened to the Dutchman and his illegitimate daughter. Bah!

Anyway, you can see all my pictures here.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a lovely post...and lovely pics!

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more