Skip to main content

Sweet Things are Made of This...

We all know that summers in the western hemisphere are made of long bright days and balmy nights; endless blue skies and glittering waters; disappearing clothes and abundance of skin; playful little boys and girls; big bad bikers and innocuous bicyclists; open air concerts and handicrafts fairs; and cold sweet ice creams and tangy lemonades.

And July 4 is gloriously in the middle of it all. This weekend was sun, sun, sun. People and fireworks too. Not to mention food and books. Sprinkled with music and movies.

Sweet things are indeed made of this.

Saturday, 9:00 p.m., Deerfield: This year, 4th of July fireworks came to me. This is my fourth in this country and I’ve had the privilege of joining the festivities in four different locations: Torrance, LA in a trailer park, Peoria, IL on the riverfront, Chicago at the Navy Pier, and the football field across the road here in Deerfield.

The crowd as usual was awesome. People started trickling in with their folding chairs and picnic blankets from 7:00 p.m. onwards. By 8:30 p.m. when I got there, the place was overflowing. I found a small bit of grass which had an uninterrupted view and squatted. Dusk fell very slowly--excruciatingly so for the little boys around me. We knew we were edging close to the festivities when several lantern-like balloons were set out to float up, up, and away against a pink twilight sky. And then at 9:25 p.m., without much ado, a single rocket went up the sky and inundated it with sparkles. The crowd screamed.

For the next 20 minutes, the sky was a riot of colors and lights red, blue, pink, gold, and green. I clicked away like crazy. The man sitting next to me tapped my shoulder and said, “Isn’t that light pole getting in the way of your pictures? Why don’t you move here?” He pointed out a better place. Well, that’s midwest for you--people are generally so darn nice to complete strangers.

More pics on http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=225453&id=547851114&l=ec5872141a.

Sunday, 3:15 p.m., Grant Park, Chicago
: The Taste of Chicago festival allegedly attracts 6 million visitors annually. On Sunday, the last day of this 10-day festival at Grant park, at least a 100,000 people were there, braving the 90+ deg F temperature and debilitating humidity. The atmosphere was indescribable.

There were food outlets as far as the eye could see on all four sides. All stalls were doing brisk business. There was a sea of humanity engaged predominantly in the act of eating all around. The air was thick with chatter, music, and bewildering number of flavors of food. The place felt like a small steaming valley, surrounded as we were with the towering Chicago skyline on three sides.

The heat considerably diminished my enjoyment of the day, even though I am from the tropics and should have a little more tolerance. I was embarrassingly very close to swooning/throwing up/having a heart attack within five minutes of being at Grant Park and continued to be so for the two hours I did spend there. I was also hamstrung by the fact that the festival was trying to be the Beef of Chicago. I think a small city of 10,000 cows would’ve been expended on July 4th alone.

I stuck to African cuisine of red beans, coconut rice, fried plantains, and goat. (Ok, so I was sticking as close to Indian cuisine as I could--so shoot me.) The food was surprisingly good. I also had 4 - 5 measly shrimps on a stick which I thought was daylight robbery.

Sunday, 4:30 p.m., Petrillo Music Shell: Without planning to do so, I accidentally wandered into the tail end of a concert. The performers were Passion Pit, a Massachusetts-based band. The performers looked like college kids rather than musicians but whatever I heard, I liked. Not that I am an authority on the subject.

What really rocked my boat was the crowd. This is my very first open air concert of this size and youthfulness. Or the sheer number of bare bodies. The crowd was obviously having the time of their lives.

I clicked to my heart’s content and tapped my toes to couple of their songs as well. Did I mention I liked what I heard?

More pics on http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=226028&id=547851114&l=35272ec1ee

Monday 2:00 p.m., Deerfield Public Library: Some books make you cry--with gratefulness that such magnificence, such beauty exists in this world. For a book to be in this category, it must be: (a) Hard bound (b) bulky (c) should have soft beautiful paper (d) should have beautiful illustrations/photographs if it can help it and (e) should be well written on an interesting subject (obviously).

At the very nice Deerfield Public Library, I wept over three such books. One was a sexy, sexy annotated compilation of Sherlock Holmes, with period illustrations/ paintings and detailed margin notes. Another was a book on the history of religion in the world by Mircea Eliade. It was so lucidly and crisply written. My later research shows that Mr. Eliade is quite a dude. The third one was that epochal publication by Time - “Chronicle of the 20th Century.” Page after page of award winning photographs; history caught in a frame. Oh man!

Saturday at the movies: Watched Knight and Day. The story was obviously written on a piece of paper napkin folded twice over at a bar while guzzling beer. But who cares? Tom and Cameron share a great on-screen chemistry, the movie is continuously funny, and the action sequences are fantastic. What more can one ask for in a summer movie?

Sunday, Random strangers, Metra Train: The best part of traveling in the midwest is the warmth and friendliness of random strangers. The young woman traveling with me into Chicago told me that she lived in downtown, had come down to the suburb for a party and stayed over at her parents’ place in which she was not comfortable as it is not “home” anymore. Did I say friendly? Make it willing-to-share-personal-details-with-alacrity.

Take this mother-teenage daughter duo who sat in front of me while coming back from downtown. They caught my attention with the way they talked to each other like girlfriends, rather than mom-daughter. Then the mother turned and included me in the conversation. Within five minutes flat, I knew all about their Indian pediatrician, her late husband who died of brain cancer, her in-laws who blame her for his death, and the state of entertainment at Fox Lake. I was thankful when the train reached my station.

Three more months of such perfectness. Sigh!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more