Skip to main content

I’d like a little less seasoning, thank you!

Sunday, 10:00 am, New Jersey: It was a 36-month old boy, an 18-month old girl, a room full of lego blocks, and I. We built a car, an unbalanced bird, and an abstract building and transferred a basket-full of toys into a small box. I happened to look out of the room—the girl’s mom, who had entrusted me with the kid while she had gone to have a bath, had finished and was sitting in the living room browsing through a magazine. I think she was testing how far I’ll go without feeling suckered.

Sunday, 2:30 pm, New York Penn Station: I was at the metro card vending machine when I discovered that I had lost about 80 USD of cash to some kleptomaniac. Damn! Damn! Damn!

Sunday, 3:30 pm, West 49th: Could a hotel room be any smaller? Hell, it was so small that they had a custom midget iron table, no dresser, and a chair, which could be reached only by rolling across the bed. But what a location! Times Square was just two minutes walk away and it was next door to a Broadway theater.

Sunday, 8:30 pm, Eugiene O’Neil Theater: I couldn’t believe that I had spent a bomb for THIS Broadway show. Not even on-stage nudity, explicit hetero-and-homo-erotic scenes, and some head-banging and foot-stomping rock numbers could lessen the utter pointlessness of a musical about adolescent sexual awakening and bourgeois prudery of late 19th century Germany.

Sunday, 10:00 pm, Times Square: I accidentally made eye contact with the black guy who was selling what could’ve been theater show tickets or Obama/McCain condoms (I swear!). I thought he was going to hawk his wares, but what he said was this: “Why are looking so mad beautiful? Don’t be mad! Be cool!” I hadn’t realized that I had been looking what I was feeling about being robbed and the show. I burst out laughing, touched by a New York moment.

Monday, 9:30 am, 32nd and Broadway: The MTA person at the subway entrance told me to walk a block west to reach Penn Station. But which fucking side was west? I walked around in circles for 10 minutes, completely lost, until I remembered the GPS functionality in my swank new iphone. I had to get a route map for a 0.3-mile walk on the same bloody street until I reached the familiar Madison Square Garden-side entrance. I felt justifiably wretched.

Monday 1:30 pm, Saravana Bhavan, Edison: What more could a girl ask for if she gets to have an authentic South Indian thali at Saravana Bhavan on Diwali day? And how did they manage to get the tastes and flavors exactly that of the Saravana Bhavan in Chennai? And Rajnikant hits on the pipe to boot! Hallelujah!

Monday, 8:30 pm, 8th Avenue: Despite the chilly weather, John and I opted to sit out in the tiny patio of this tiny Italian restaurant on a narrow street called Restaurant Row. I looked longingly at the beautiful apartments in the old red stone/brownstone buildings across the street. We watched groups of people walked by, quarrelling over which restaurant to go to, and smiled encouragingly at those who looked in our direction.

Tuesday, 8:30 am, East 52nd: It was a cold, wet, miserable day in Manhattan – it never properly dawned this morning. I watched whiffs of steam, smog, and gloomy rain out of the 27th floor window and wondered what happened to all the fall glory that NYC is famous for. Drat! It was forecasted to snow later in the evening.

Tuesday, 2:30 pm, Mayfair Hotel: As soon as I stepped into the hotel to collect my bag, the guy at the desk asked me: “Did you lose your phone?” I checked my handbag and realized that I had. He smiled and said, “I recognized your picture on it, so I have put it in your bag.” And they say NY is a rude and unfriendly city!

Tuesday, 7:30 pm, TGIF, Newark Airport: I sat wedged in a corner, amidst three old men traveling to Seattle, whose flights had also been delayed by the inclement weather. We swapped travel nightmare stories. The old man on my right smiled calmly and said, “Go with the flow!” I nodded, munching on my Cesar salad.

Tuesday, 8:30 pm, water fountain, Gate 16: I was sitting on the floor, watching other irate travelers waiting for the same flight all evening. Are we going to make it tonight? I am a seasoned traveler, quite used to the vicissitudes, but I could do with a little less seasoning I thought.

(Written at Newark Airport, waiting for that blessed flight to Chicago.)

Comments

Unknown said…
wouldn't it be an ego issue to buy a McCain condom when an Obama is available?
You didn't tell me on chat that our friend was selling Obama, McCain condoms. Why? why? Oops, I'm watching Larry King Live right now and John the Presidential Candidate is on saying everytime he's around the other maverick, he's "uplifted." Where's the Black man?!
V D'Wan said…
"Go with the flow" yeah gurl go with the flow... but do care to admit, when you liked it a bit.
Unknown said…
lovely writing. hats off""
Unknown said…
shobana.vrn lovely writing keep going

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more