Skip to main content

A Bay-tiful Love Story

The Chihuahua from the house across the street looked picturesque, if such a thing was possible. But then, anybody peering around cherry red drapes and out of a window of a pastel-colored Victorian-style house overlooking the bay on Mason Street in San Francisco had an unfair advantage in the looks department.

I returned its curious gaze forlornly, for I was heartbroken. I had known that summer romances never lasted, but this one had been all too short. It had blazed with sun and passion for four unforgettable days and now it was time to say goodbye.

I sighed and perched myself uncomfortably on the peculiarly narrow swivel seat in the bus shelter. A cable car lumbered by. The operator recognized me and waved. I grinned at him, feeling like the butt of a cosmic joke. Someone out there had known that I was a pushover when it came to random whimsical behavior and had woven up an elaborate web of seduction.

How else can one explain the curious incident of the Singing Chinese Lady? It had happened on one of the viewing decks on Russian Hills, which could be accessed by climbing a dizzying number of steps angled at 70 degrees. The Chinese lady had come out of one of the houses, seen me, and started talking to me in rapid Chinese, gesturing at the vista in front of us. When I had told her I don’t understand Chinese, she had proceeded to sing about it! “Yes,” I had responded, “It is a very beautiful sight.”

Lonely Planet was to be blamed for it all. It had set me up like a wily old matchmaker, with delectable prose. “Nutty”, it had described SF. “Like a gold miner’s grin… full of character, but a little crooked,” it'd warned. “Pretty damn alluring and has a tendency to ensnare visitors, who… leave their hearts here,” it'd predicted.

Sigh! My chances of being indifferent had been that of a snowball in—hell, you know the cliché.

The first day, I had walked out of the foyer of my hotel, past its clown-liveried doormen, across the cable car lines, to Union Square, and towards the counter where I thought they were selling tour tickets. However, two people had pounced on me before I had gotten anywhere near the counter.

“It’s a musical on Cinderella story, with a San Francisco twist to it,” the young man had said, pointing to his very gay person. “I’m in it and it’s going to be fun!”

“Let me tell you about my improv show,” the wacky young woman had said, striking a dance pose. “It’s completely unscripted and has a lot of laughs!”

I had capitulated with alacrity.

Unscripted” had been as quirky as they come. The five actors had chatted with the audience, plied us with popcorn, beer, and cookies, took suggestions from us and acted the scenes out. The highlight of the evening had been “Gandhi – the musical”, complete with bangra moves and chest heaving dance steps, unanimously voted as the best by the audience.

Oh My Godmother” had been campy, sassy, and most of the time, side-splittingly funny. Yes, it is a boy in drag-meets-handsome prince story, but some of the lyrics and dialogs were positively wicked.

In the “Everybody has somebody (why not me)” song, “even Spitzer has a hooker on each knee,” lamented the evil stepsisters.

“Prince has fallen for a girl!” the gay parents exclaimed, with a droll “not that there’s anything wrong with it” aside (turn in your non-existent grave, Jerry Seinfeld!).

“Oh that’s a big shoe!” Prince’s gay friend drooled over the plot clincher, with an orgasmic eye-roll. “You know what a big shoe means, don’t you?” “No” said Prince. “Well, it means he has big feet, of course!” replied the friend cheekily.

Not everything was light and flighty in the city though.

In the steamy, urine-scented alleys of Mission district, vibrant, passionate, exquisite mural art bloom on garage doors, community swimming pools, schools, and business establishments. The artwork depict the heritage, nostalgia, anger, and hope of the predominantly Latin-American population. You will find civil war scenes from El Salvador and Nicaragua, hope of political reform in Nepal, stories from Aztec mythology, and a memorial mosaic for a teenage couple tragically shot dead in the park.

The mural walk conducted by Percita Eyes had taken us through the neighborhood and ended in the local gym-cum-church, where the Sunday morning sermon had been in full swing. Our stop had been to look at an enormous street-to-roof mural. As we were looking up, a small dusky face had looked down at us from the mezzanine floor—a little boy, probably bored by the morning’s pieties.

We had laughed and waved at him and his sister. Both of them had run out onto the sunlit street in apparent embarrassment. But only for a couple of minutes—the boy had come back, tugged my shirt and asked, “Can me and my sister have a dollar?”

“Oh he was hustling!” my fellow walker, a SF local, had exclaimed when I explained the exchange to her. I had grinned goofily, the international sign of love.

Up on the hills, in North Beach, City Light Bookstore is serious about freedom of expression. The owner Lawrence Ferlinghetti won a landmark 1957 ruling against book banning, which paved the way for publication of hitherto banned books.

Named after the famous Chaplin movie and made famous by Allen Ginsberg’s Howl, it is not a big store—the downtown Borders has far greater square footage. But it is chock-a-block with books of genres that Borders of the world wouldn’t dare to put on their shelves. It urges you to sit and read, rather than buy and leave.

The Bound Together Anarchist Bookstore in Upper Haight Street is very vocal about its extreme left denomination. “I am not afraid of terrorists. So don’t feel obliged to make a police state for my sake,” one sticker announces. “The greatest threat to human freedom is respect for authority,” another exhorts. From pamphlets to well-researched books, there is anarchy and revolution all around.

In a supremely ironic gesture, I had produced my credit card—that vile tool of the consumerist credit economy, whose trade lobby mafia is pinching the world food supply, piercing ozone layers, manufacturing consent, and curbing free speech—to buy a couple of incendiary books. “Oh we don’t take cards,” the volunteer at the counter had said, with the unmistakable “duh!” hovering in the air. Indeed, they have an old fashioned wooden cash till—perfectly adequate for the purpose, I suppose.

Add to this ensemble Amoeba records, a collection of Tibetan/Indian curio shops, tattoo parlors, and cafes, Haight had been unlike any other place I have seen. Figured—it had, after all, set the precedent with the Human Be-In of 1967 and the hippie movement.

But in true SF fashion, things had changed dramatically up on the steep slopes of Buena Vista Park, which is at the southern end of the Haights market. Lonely planet had sent me scampering up on it to “gawk at the views and lust over the Victorians.” Although the climbing had been a little treacherous, the city had looked dreamy and magical, like a fantasy—perhaps a most fitting metaphor.

Talking of magic, “let there be fog at the Golden Gate Bridge,” said I. “Aye, aye!” said the Fog Goddess. There the bridge had stood over sullen waters, all elegance and film-noir mystery, its peaks blurred and softened by rolling fog.

Nothing, not even the Brooklyn Bridge, had prepared me for the splendor of this structure. Nor for the fact of how high the bridge is. I had clung to the railing, vertiginous with the rushing traffic on one side and the bikers and pedestrians on the sidewalk, too scared to look down. But despite the taste of fear in my mouth, the experience on the bridge had been spectacular.

Now, with just a few more hours in the city, I was moping around on the streets, giving malevolently jealous looks to the young woman hurrying into a Laundromat with her laundry basket.

I will miss the city. I will miss the confusion on the steep undulating streets where cars, buses, cable cars, and pedestrians jostled against each other. I will miss the street artists, playing strings stretched between two cans or percussion on paint drums. I will miss the panhandlers, who held up bizarre signboards such as “need a hooker, please help”! I will miss eating in the multitude of restaurants, where guests at the next table invariably leaned over and asked, “What are you having? Looks interesting!”

I have lost my heart to SF—will I ever be able to come back and get it?

Comments

Anveshana said…
Of the many beautiful places that most people can visit on this planet, Frisco steals hearts like none other. Nonetheless, each place tries to tell you the same story and it's upto the listener how they want to receive and interpret it.

I liked your unique perception of the city as a lone-traveller, meeting random strangers, reading their expressions and beautifully capturing them. Surely, the lady rushing to the laundromat would not have looked at her own city from this way an outsider would look. People kind of "get used" to the new place once they start "living" there. Oh well, for an explorer, that becomes the time to move to a new place to start the gazes all over again :)

Good luck with your posts!!
Boy, this one missed the Bulwer-Lytton by days!
PriyatRaj said…
Thanks Anveshna! Watch this space for more travelogues. :-)

Rohan, that was a truly awesome compliment! Thanks a ton!
It wasn't meant for your post. I was hoping I didn't have to be too explicit.
PriyatRaj said…
Heh heh! You know, after I wrote those opening lines, I did hover over it for some time, thinking about it. So I wouldn't have been surprised even if you did mean it for my post!
OK, what the hell...it was meant for your post, and for exactly the same reason you cite, besides many others. Man, are you a good judge of poor writing! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more