Skip to main content

The Gem Collection

Today, I collected some pearls. Soft, velvety, gleaming white little pearls. I watched them spill on to my palm and run off my fingertips.

A sob and a catch…

“Are you crying?”

“Yes I am. Didn’t you call because you knew I would?”

Did I?

My mind went back to an evening in Hyderabad, 15 years ago. My cousin had been struggling with a bad cold and homework. She was so cranky that she had picked up a pointless fight with her mother. My aunt had gently sent her to bed.

I watched another warm pearl land on my palm.

My cousin was 12 years old at that time. What do I do with you? Perhaps a warm glass of milk and a cozy tuck in to bed are what you also need tonight. Where is your mother?

I carefully picked up all the pearls from the ground and put them in the glass jar I kept.

My jar of little treasures was fast getting full.

Oh look at that pink Ruby there.

“Please, please don’t call anybody! I’ll handle it! Please don’t call! Then everything will get into a tizzy! I’ll do anything—I’ll get naked if you want, but please don’t do it!”

I chuckled as I picked up the Ruby and held it to light.

Foolish, foolish girl! Who taught you to treat yourself as loose change? What if my sense of honor slipped?

I had never collected anything as a child. I was busy chasing clouds… Or talking to imaginary characters… Or praying to God that I grew up to be an adult soon… Amen.

As a teenager, I had discovered philosophy.

“What are you? Are you your name, your family, your country, your material possessions, your likes and dislikes, or your memories? Aren’t these just things that you use to identify yourself?”

I gave up material possessions—washed them down the Ganges that the teacher led me to. I carried no baggage.

When did I acquire this jar?

One lazy sleepy afternoon, at the cafeteria, I had picked up a twinkling, gold flecked bright orange Goldstone.

“I’m bored,” I had announced to the kids sitting around me. “Entertain me. Here’s one rupee for each of you,” I had said, distributing the coins around the table. “Tell me one rupee worth of salacious secret about yourself.”

Shy, cautious, Russian roulette went around the table, accompanied by giggles. As the conversation petered out, she had quickly collected two rupees from the other two and handed them over to me. “Now tell two rupees worth of secret about yourself!” she had challenged, with a glint in her eyes.

I had laughed and picked up the Goldstone. I had turned it around in my fingers absently all evening. When I went home, I had impulsively dropped it into a glass jar.

And the stones kept adding up.

Like that day she got back from a vacation in Europe… What had I expected? Perhaps some enthusiasm to see me again? She smiled at me from a distance and went on to talk to a friend. Was I miffed? I don’t know.

I kept my distance, wanting to give her space.

She shuffled up to me in the evening, half diffident, half aggressive. “Is there a problem?” she had asked in a rush, querulously. “You haven’t spoken to me all day!”

The blue satin unraveled, revealing a quietly gleaming purple Amethyst in its folds. I picked it up carefully. “Oh I have been busy…” I had said smoothly.

There was a rain of Cat’s Eye stones in the backseat of the car another night. The haze of cigarette smoke, zebra stripes of light from the speeding city outside, and little zari glints from the top she was wearing.

I had peeped around the front seat. “You should give me more speeches on literature,” I had told her. “Ever thought of a career in teaching?”

She had snorted.

I had turned to Him driving the car. “Don’t you think she was magnificent, all hair and passion, talking extempore on Magic Realism?”

He’d grunted. The loser!

“I am with Him all day, but not really with Him.”

Tiny crimson Coral of agony scattered everywhere…

The self-flagellations, the despair, the meltdowns, the uneasy and impulsive make-ups and messy break ups…

“I can’t stop loving Him. I will get over it, I will. But not today.”

Crowded open-air dance floor, artificial smoke, pounding music. Standing still in the middle of the floor, suddenly bereft. Glistening tears in the kohl rimmed eyes. A walk into the darkness alone…

“He looked at me as if I was the crap under His shoe!”

I had flinched at the coldness of the intense blue Lapis Lazuli that fell on my palm.

My dear, didn’t you know that tears made tough stains?

“How are you, Bitsy Pookums?” I asked, on a nice spring day, inspired by Calvin and Hobbes.

“Ugh! Go away!” she replied.

“Hey, you used to like me at one time!”

“That’s because you never baby talked at that time!”

“I did, all the time, in my head. You just didn’t know me well then.”

“I refuse to get to know you better now!”

“Hello Pootie Pie!” I chirped again on her instant messenger.

After a while, she responded, “You horror! I was sitting with my colleague when your Pootie Pie popped up! She’s been taken ill!”

Cheerful yellow Citrines winked at me.

Jubilant diamonds glistened on the river when I insisted on walking “abreast” with her on the narrow sidewalk of the bridge over it.

She picked one up and showed it to friends. “Can you imagine? Abreast indeed, on a sidewalk too narrow!”

All of them, now in my little overflowing jar. What do I do with them? Can you find me another Ganges to wash them away, my dear?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more