Skip to main content

Lost, Never Found

The little neighborhood on the banks of a green river where I spent all my childhood was like a ghost town when I visited it a few years ago. The alleys were much narrower than I had remembered them, closing in, claustrophobic. The houses used to be much bigger in my childhood. Now they all seemed to have shrunk, aged.

And I couldn’t find my friends. Not a single one.

I sometimes wonder whether I had imagined it all. The big gang, hide-and-seek games in a cocoa grove, radio performances, ramparts of the ancient temple ruins, and lily ponds around school.

“School? Oh I hated school—don’t have any pleasant memories,” said one gang member when I met her in Chennai briefly, 10 years ago.

The Orkut community on my neighborhood has no familiar faces. Maybe I never existed there.

Or maybe I was always a visitor, an amusing outsider. “Gosh, your Malayalam has such a strong Tamil accent! You’ll never get it right!”

Being an outsider—oh, I do it well.

“Do us a favor—don’t even attempt to speak in Hindi! Your accent is atrocious!”

“You know how Tamilians spell moon? Yem-wo-yet another wo-yen!”

“Oh God, don’t be stupid! Don’t you know Torrance is very unsafe? Don’t go walking alone like you do back home!”

“How come you are staying here? Wouldn’t you be more comfortable in a South Indian locality?”

“It’s a Toronto Bengali Drama Club picnic. I know they are all complete strangers and you will not understand a word of what we speak, but you’ll have us! Do come along!”

Strange places all. The entire world.

“Madam, aayiye madam! Beautiful sarees madam!” touts hail me from shops in my hometown.

“Meenakshi very powerful Goddess, madam. Do archanai madam!” they sell my own God to me.

And dammit, where are my old friends?

“Remember you used to organize tennicoit matches for me and my friends?” I ask my sister.

“Really? I don’t remember,” she answers me.

“Remember you used to tell me about Mark Tully and what a good friend of India he is? I bought you a book by him,” I tell my dad.

“I don’t know Mark Tully and I have never told you about him!” he insists.

Where are my old friends who can endorse at least some memories?

As brain cells die, as friends disappear as if they never existed, as I wander like a nomad, the place I belong to has become mythical, held together by a few snatches of tangible evidence—my mom’s repertoire of typical phrases that not many people use in everyday Tamil nowadays; the muffler that soothed many a fevered brow and that stayed with my parents for almost 40 years; my favorite Tamil movie songs whose lyrics I remember with brilliant clarity even after 15 years; and the group of writers/directors/actors/artists who shaped my sensibilities.

Now, one of my favorite writers is dead.

Classmate of Abdul Kalam, developer of the Electronic Voting Machine, versatile writer/script writer, a man who brought in a new epoch in Tamil popular literature, opinion leader—Wikipedia and Hindu Online eulogize him.

Sujatha was all that and a lot more. Laugh-out-loud wit, breezy style, complex plots, layered narrative, and forays into his interest areas of archeology, astrophysics, biotechnology, carnatic music, Tamil literature, and sociology—his works are a treat to read.

I used to fantasize about his lawyer duo Ganesh-Vasanth, the yin and yang of logic-science-justice and bawdy jokes-adjustable ethics; I fell in love with his smart-alecky robotic dog Gino; I was enthralled by his description of certain street acts that were performed in colonial India during the 1850s; I was moved to tears by his complete understanding of being a woman in Eppothum Penn (which some claim is similar to the work of Simone De Beauvoir's The Second Sex); I was fanatic about his Tamil version of Agent 007, Vikram…

He introduced holograms, sex, value crisis, RAW, occult, folktates, iambic pentameter, and Mexican laundress joke to me. He opened up the world for me, gave it to me in simple language, wrapped it up in his zany sense of humor. He inspired me to write.

Oh Sujatha!

Preeti: “You are such a philistine! And a sexist! You know, women can do everything that men can do!”
Vikram: “I can pee on a wall standing up. Can you?”
P.P.S: Looks like it is a pan-Asian diaspora story--this home inside oneself and not something tangible outside. The following article by Pico Iyer took my breath away by the sheer synchronicity of thoughts. Thanks R for sending it to me!
http://www.time.com/time/asia/2003/journey/story.html

Comments

Swaroop Biswas said…
Completely identify with it. Even I just don't see anything matching with the memories as if they have been neatly wiped off. I guess now I have accepted my uprooted status. I realize even I am not the same anymore. While living in this huge city, I also have turned in to something else or rather someone else.
Dip Narayan said…
You have a more ancient thoughtmate: Heraclitus. From him, I think, comes the adage "u never dip in the same river twice." He compared existence with fire: the same fire burns on, but changing every moment.

Now things are not all that bleak I guess. Thankfully, we have memory for retaining our sense of the self. Individual memory is fallible, but, thankfully again, we have a social memory, perhaps not in a city like Bombay. But in smaller towns like Chennai or Kolkata I hope there is still a body politic and civil, which able to articulate the self-image of its memebers and help the members contextualise themselves.

For an individual bereft of such social support structure the best thing to do is to read and write. Read about the favourite period in teh past and write one's own experiences for posterity. That way you'll remember yourself and people will remember you. Look at À la recherche du temps perdu.

One more name dropping: Bergson. This time I'll let Wiki do the talking. This is from the entry on Durantion.

In An Introduction to Metaphysics, Bergson presents three images of the Duration to acquaint the reader with the idea. The first is that of two spools, one unrolling to represent the continuous flow of ageing as one feels oneself moving toward the end of their life span, the other a thread rolling into a ball to represent the continuous growth of memory as a person's past follows them. Indeed, for Bergson, consciousness equals memory.

PS: Apologies for the long comment and may I link your blog to mine?
PriyatRaj said…
Dear Dipu, I gave you permission to link long time back, I think!

It is clear that you are not familiar with the reality of the Tam Bram community. I recently attended a cousin's wedding in Chennai. Young people below the age of 35 would've numbered perhaps around 25. The rest of the crowd was made up by 60+ people, left behind in great comfort and great loneliness by their NRI kids. They sat together, reminisced about the good old days and ended looking more old and haggard, totally defeated by the march of time. It was depressing, to say the least.

There ain't no body politic to contextualize us in India anymore.

Another friend, in response to this post, lamented that she lost a big part of her memories when her mom passed away recently. Now she has nobody to complete partially remembered anecdotes...

Nice quote, although I don't agree with it - I am a great here-and-nower...
Shiv said…
Priya,
I have my own rant about the TamBram community to add to yours.
As a clan, we go out of our way to avoid helping our kith and kin.
How I wish I was born a Marwari!!!
ps: I was one of the few +35 -60 at that wedding.

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more