Skip to main content

Holiday Cheer

I mixed equal shares of eating, shopping, and travel and created the perfect holiday season. Starting with the Christmas potluck at office which had an enormous dessert table, literally creaking under the weight of calories it carried to the Shrimp Quesadia at Baja Fresh, it was one long eating fest. Followed closely by shopping frenzy – from Northwoods Mall, Peoria, to Jersey Garden Mall, it was easy to be carried away by the press of humanity and the lure of deals and blow up a lot of money. And by traveling to New York, I made up for missing Diwali this year.

Here are some highlights.

Silent Night at Wuthering Heights
Powder Hills, Morris Plains, NJ, had one thing in abundance this holiday season – mood. Swirling mists, dark wooded slopes, still houses, and gloom all around. I saluted the imperative by nursing a dark mood an entire day. It had its moments too – I tried to climb up an iced slope, slipped, and slid all the way down, ignominiously and inexorably. Luckily, no witnesses.


Narcissist at Macy’s
Ho! Ho! Ho! Santa Land at the Macy’s on Broadway was closed on Christmas Eve by the time we reached, but we had great fun looking at the window displays. That’s me trying to get my face on the TV at the far end. Hello New York! Other than the incredible size of the store, I really liked their old wooden escalators.





Tree and Me
Our Christmas pilgrimage was completed at the Rockefeller Center. The tradition of the giant tree is apparently 75 years old. The atmosphere was awesome – a larger, international version of the temple festivals I’ve attended. Festive spirit everywhere.




Infectious Energy
Watched the skaters on the world famous skating rink at the Rockefeller Center abetted by a group of teenage girls and a Latin-American family. All of us had a great time, cheering the skaters and clapping for the first guy to fall down.




New York by Night
We have seen it a million stock photos, video clips, and movies – still, to discover that it is exactly like the pictures and movies is a special thrill!

Room With a View
Apparently, the development of Newport, New Jersey, was a $10 billion project started in the 1980s. Well, it shows – a swanky neighborhood on the banks of Hudson, with Manhattan across the river, and PATH trains to take you across, it seems the perfect and relatively affordable place to stay while visiting New York. My one bedroom, fully furnished, luxury apartment with a view on the 15th floor cost me half of what two-star hotels in Manhattan were going at in the holiday season.

The Big Apple!
Every single person on Times Square at this time of the year was a tourist from some part of the world. And all of us had the same expression on our faces – awe! The line for tickets for Broadway shows started at one side of the New York Marriott Marquis, Times Square, went around it, three rows deep, and came out at the other end on the next street and started doubling up. That is when I abandoned all hope.


Look What I found!
This, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what I saw on Broadway.







Holiday Shops at Bryant Park
I stumbled into these European style holiday shops on my way to 5th Avenue. It was so charming and the merchandise was so enchanting that I stayed for a long time. Silk scarves from Indonesia, glass figurines from Russia, little embroidered and crocheted dolls and handmade jewelry – oh, it was heavenly!



New York By Day
While New York by night is all dazzle, bright lights, and fantasy, by day it is so real and so quintessentially – well, New York. To me, it is nothing short of a miracle. It is the only city I have visited in which I’ve never got lost! Maybe it’s the grid structure and public transport options, but I can get around the city with perfect ease, hopping on and off trains and buses with impunity. And contrary to popular opinion, I always meet friendly people ready for a chat. From the Cameroonian tricycle operator and informal guide to Central Park who gave me a Hollywood special tour to the owner of the shop in the Village selling artistic posters and post cards, who patted by shoulder and wished me Happy New Year, it’s a city full of nice people for me.

Towering Over the Globe!
This globe at the Trump Tower at Columbus Cricle seemed like a fitting metaphor for the city.






Killroy was There!
Well, after seeing every star worth his/her salt walking these environs enacting varying pathos, how could I resist this shot?








Strawberry Fields
I once shocked a Rock musician by asking him who Jim Morrison was. The poor guy walked around me despairingly for three days, asking me at various points of the day, “You really don’t know who he is?” trying to catch me at my own incomprehensible game. Well, I really didn’t know who Jim Morrison was at that time. Thankfully, I was more aware this time when I visited Strawberry Fields, heh heh!

Garma Garam Aaloo Paratha!
It was a cold day in New York, although it didn’t snow. I was hungry, had been walking around for hours, and had been sustained only by dates (the fruit, duh!) all morning. Then I ran into Indian Bread Company in Greenwich Village, quite by chance. I remembered their parathas and dal from my last visit. And they had a nice toasty table next to the heater vent. What more could a person want?


Various Artists
They are everywhere – performing on the streets, subway platforms and railway stations. Meeting them is a special tour by itself.
Russian Painter
I guess I went to the Village looking for somebody like Pini – a Russian painter, selling prints of his art for $5 each. He had a painting published in a magazine called “Satyam”, which had the pride of place in his display.




Tibetan Photographer
Sonam apparently came to NY 10 years ago and worked for a photographer for a while. Then he struck out on his own. Now he sells his photographs outside Central Park, for, you guessed it right, $5 each.





Unknown Musician
His appearance was as interesting as his music. He has brought out a few CDs on his own too. Hopefully he will get a break. Or he will continue to make music, which, along with a thousand others’, make up the unique voice of New York.

Comments

Unknown said…
It's possible I'm missing something here but I don't get what Strawberry Fields has to do with Morrison. The place is dedicated to John Lennon after his song "Strawberry Fields Forever".

Had to show off, you understand. And I'm not even a Beatle's fan.
PriyatRaj said…
Ajay, I know - one has to be seriously challenged not to get that while standing on the said place that it is dedicated to Lennon - you can bloody see the apartment where he lived from this place! I was just saying that I knew who Lennon was. And you were there when I showed my ignorance about Jim...

Popular posts from this blog

Priya’s Must Watch Movies List

(Warning: a long post) “Why don’t you write a blog post on Tamil movies that non-Tamil people can enjoy?” Arif asked me the other day, perhaps in a bid to stop me from going on and on about a recent Tamil movie I watched. It was a capital idea. I decided to take out couple of hours from a week that is killing in its work load to write the post. I knew I was going to have fun. Thank you Anup and Anil for helping me come up with the list! The Tamil Milieu “Frank passions of Tamil cinema”, said Nisha Susan in a recent article. How true! Hot headed, vocal, simple, loyal Tamils with centuries of unbroken performing arts tradition embraced cinema as early as 1897. It was the beginning of a long, passionate, earthy love story, making cinema an extension of our identity, a part of our popular culture, intermingling with politics and daily life. 50-feet cut outs are but a small expression of our love. We make countless stars and worship them with pure hearts. Our whole hearted approval of the f

Catharsis

How relevant can a play that was first staged in 458 BC and won a goat as a prize in the Festival of Dionysius be to our lives now? I was cynical. Damn it, the hole burnt by the 75 USD I wasted on that completely puerile, award-winning musical on Broadway with a far shorter history still smoked in my purse. But it was a beautiful day outside – sunny and warm after 10 days of gloomy, cold, and wet weather. The play was happening practically next door and was priced at an affordable 14 USD. I’d never watched a Greek tragedy in my life and I had promised Geetha that I would come back and bore him with it. So off I went to watch what I thought was an ambitious presentation of the entire trilogy of Oresteia by Aeschylus by the Bradley University Theater group. Of course I had my reservations: I wondered how were they going to make me care about a story so bloody and unrelatable – hell, the plot outline sounded like a handbook on “How to kill your family and come up with convincin

Sundarbans – The Mystic Vastness

You need to be in a state of preparedness to visit the Sundarbans. I suggest that you wait until you are over 30 and have experienced a few knocks, some heartbreak, and a little disappointment in life. It would help if you had ever searched for anything—God, happiness, truth, yourself. It might also be useful to believe that it is necessary to get lost to find your way. If you are the sort of person who finds music in the sound of the quiet lap of water against the tarred hull of the boat or the metaphor of life in drifting along endless waters on a little vessel, then you are ready for the magnificent mangroves. Because the Sundarbans is not for the weekend holidayers, the types who would want to drink beer, scratch their bum/crotch/head/something, throw plastic and Styrofoam into the water with impunity, and hope to get laid. I only hope that the crocodiles that eat them would not develop indigestion. It is important to find the right tour guide for the Sundarbans, as we did. Bi

The Messy, Boozy, Bro-y, Funny World of Tamil Movie Heartbreak

Season of Love It seems like every young person in the 16 – 22 age group in Tamil Nadu is in love—with someone unacceptable to their parents. They are expressing their feelings vocally and dramatically, through TV music channels, FM channels, friends, WhatsApp and other social media. They are shaking up the very fundamentals of societal structures and hoary traditions. They are eloping or standing up to opposition; they are marrying in police stations, registrar offices and temples. Some end tragically, but a lot of them seem to be thriving, as parents are resigning to the new order. Sociologists might talk in terms of social mobility, aspirations, westernization, urbanization et al. Be that as it may, every time I call home, I hear one more story. Of clandestine actions, dramatic proclamations, and cinematic gestures. And Tamil movies—that bastion of “ energetic physicality and frank passions ”—supply the voice, plot, lyrics and music for these micro-epics unfolding in

"Low Life Fictions" of Sadat Hasan Manto

My auto came to a halt atone of the dusty, grimy, grey traffic signals that dots the Mumbai suburban landscape. It was just another Mumbai road moment, the air vibrating with the restless thrum of the million engines carrying a million impatient people to their various destinations.  A dusty, grimy, grey street child was making the rounds of the waiting vehicles, begging. He was so small that any smaller, he would have been mistaken for the million bandicoots that live under the pavements and sewers. He was begging the way street children are perhaps taught in their Fagin’s academy—touching the passengers, knocking on the raised car windows, his tone whining and pitiful. He approached an auto containing two teenage girls. As he tried to touch them, one of the girls shrieked in a tone colored by disgust and fear, “Don’t touch me! Don’t touch me!” The little child, as like some of us around, was taken aback by the violence of her words. Just then the signal turned green

Labels

Show more